Wednesday, June 16, 2004

DavidByrne.com - 2004 Tour Journal

David Byrne put on a great show Friday June 11th, I thought it was even better than the first time I saw him live in 2001. Arrived at the Georgia Theatre around 9:00, situated ourselves in the back of the floor area directly in front of the stage. The opening act (Juana Molina) was unique and charming, although she seemed to have a few technical problems.

David and his musicians hit the stage around 10:30, and the crowd began packing the floor. The temperature soon became uncomfortably warm. I'm usually averse to large crowds of people, but didn't really mind this night because of the music. I had a great view, and my wife was able to see the stage virtually the entire time as well. I felt badly for her, as she's a good bit shorter than I am, and I imagined that her air supply must be quite restricted. Anyway, she was fine, although a girl passed out directly next to us during the first few songs.

As for the concert itself, David seemed to enjoy himself and really put a lot of energy into his performance. They played the expected fare (older Talking Heads songs) as well as several of his newer solo pieces. After a full set and two encores we walked out into the (comparatively)cool night. We were drenched, my wife looked as though she had been thrown in a pool. A police car drove by the front of the Theatre and someone from the crowd threw a cup full of ice at it. We didn't really see the drunken revelry David describes in his journal above, however.

A great night...sort of like a musical Black Hole of Calcutta, but more fun.

Here is the setlist, as far as I can remember:

Athens, GA / 11 June 2004

Glass Concrete & Stone
I Zimbra
Ausencia
Finite=Alright
She Only Sleeps
The Other Side of this Life
The Great Intoxication
Naive Melody-This Must Be The Place
Road to Nowhere
Nothing But Flowers
Once in a Lifetime
Un Di Felice
Tiny Apocalypse
Psycho Killer
U.B. Jesus
Dialog Box
What a Day that was
Blind
1st Encore:
Desconocido Soy
Life During Wartime
2nd Encore:
And She Was
Lazy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My God, how do you remember the playlist?? I am impressed! Love jen